(HealthDay News) -- If you have a toenail that's expanded beneath the skin, no doubt it's become sore and painful and needs attention.
The ADAM Encyclopedia offers these home-treatment suggestions:
- Soak the toe in warm water three to four times each day.
- When you're not soaking, keep your feet dry.
- Carefully massage the area that's inflamed.
- Slide a piece of dental floss or cotton, soaked with a little antiseptic or water, underneath the nail.
- Consider using over-the-counter treatments, but know that they're for pain only -- they won't treat the ingrown toenail itself.
- Wear open-toed shoes or sandals until the condition improves.
- If the condition worsens or doesn't improve, see a doctor before infection sets in.
-- Diana Kohnle